If you want to give your custom made jewelry a whole new look, then you must use a variety of beads in your design. Fashion jewelry made of beads is popular these days and one of the types of beads that is increasingly finding use in jewelry design is lava beads. These beads look earthy and yet are elegant and have a charm of their own. If you want to buy these beads to use them in your jewelry making, then here are a few facts that you should be aware of.
1. As the name implies, these beads are formed from the lava which is produced when a volcano erupts. Lava stone beads are actually made up of basalt - which is a type of igneous rock that is formed during a volcanic eruption.
2. Beneath the surface of an active volcano, the temperature and the pressure are such that they can melt rock. That is why when a volcano erupts it gives out molten rock. However when it comes in contact with the cool atmosphere of the Earth it begins to solidify. As a result of this, stone beads are formed. The most common shapes of these stone beads are rounds, ovals, slices, discs, roundels, teardrops, and saucers.
3. The porous nature of these stones means that they have many holes and bubbles, which also makes them very lightweight. This property makes them ideal for jewelry making as they can be easily threaded. Also, jewelry made using these beads is very light and hence very comfortable to wear.
4. Natural lava beads come in three colors - black, grey and brown. However, today they are often dyed and hence you can find them in several colors. These stones have a rough texture, which can be quite abrasive, therefore the beads that are sold for jewelry making purposes are treated with paraffin wax to make them smooth.
5. Due to their physical properties, lava beads also have special significance. Lava stone is regarded as a symbol of fertility, endurance and strength. It is believed to provide stability in tumultuous times. Because they come from the Earth, it is said that it strengthens our relationship with our planet. It dispels anger, cements our beliefs and provides guidance, clarity and hope in difficult times. That is why it is said that these stones were worn by American Indians before they went into battle.
6. If you are interested in these beads due to their physical properties and significance, make sure that you buy original lava beads instead of fake manmade ones. The fake ones are not as light as the original ones. Also, by carrying out a simple test you can find out if these beads are genuine or not. Just boil some water and drop the beads into it.
The choices you have when it comes to creating something from these beads are numerous. You can create craft pins, necklaces, earrings, bracelets, anklets, rings, brooches, pendants, etc. If you are looking to buy genuine lava beads for jewelry, then you should search for wholesale suppliers online.
If you love making jewelry, buy lava beads for their versatility. They offer a great scope.